Sunday, January 29, 2012

Theodor Seuss Geisel Award

Along with the Caldecott award, The Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, awarded its Theodor Seuss Geisel Award for the most distinguished beginning reader book on January 23, 2012 to:

Tales for very picky eaters

James is a very picky eater. Dad has tried many things to get James to eat. In desperation he decides to offer James some outlandish food choices like gum that has been pre-chewed 1000 times. Eventually, James decides that some foods aren’t so bad if you are willing to give them a try. The Sonoma County Library has a copy.

Three books were given the Honors award:

I Broke my trunk

This book by Mo Willems is part of his Elephant and Piggie series. Willems has won three previous Caldecott Honors for Don’t let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Tale and Knuffle Bunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identity. One of my granddaughters has her own Knuffle Bunny. Needless to say she is a big fan of these books. The Sonoma County Library has many copies.

I want My hat back

One of my grandsons has this book. His said, “My favorite part is the ending” and then he added a sly giggle. Grandmas are much more squeamish than six year old grandsons, I guess. Here is Scott Simon and Daniel Pinkwater reading this book  on Saturday Weekend Edition on December 3, 2011.

See Me Run

A romp in the park with dogs: running, swimming and digging. The dogs dig up something surprising. It is a book about dogs, it has to be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment