Wednesday, March 20, 2013

8 Ways Parents Discourage Their Kids From Reading

From the No Time for Flash Cards Blog is a great article that any parent, grandparent or tutor working with young readers should take to heart. Some we have talked about here: reading to your kids every day, finding “just right” books to read to gain confidence and giving books as gifts.

As a young parent, working with my oldest child when he was learning to read, I was guilty of the 7th way to discourage reading: don’t over-correct and over-practice! It took me some time to realize that I wasn’t encouraging him to read but actually discouraging him. Fortunately, I didn’t do any permanent damage.

Our job as parents, grandparents and tutors to is make reading so enticing that our kids are willing to do the hard work to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment